Sunday, October 5, 2008

What is it about Fall that is so appealing? It would seem that Fall should be the most repulsive of seasons. After all, Fall is essentially a dying time. The vegetation, the fun, the free time, almost every aspect of the life that came in Spring, and peaked in Summer, withers and dies in the months of September, October, and November. So what is it? My theory is that by the end of Spring and Summer we are just ready to be done with the frolicking and the happy. I suppose I can only speak for myself, perhaps I am just a grump, but I am a realist. I am a person who likes to wear brown and black wherever possible. I am a person who likes, at times, to hole up in my room and avoid the sunshine and the people who seem to exude it. So, I like Fall because it brings people out of the clouds, they've got to get back inside and get back to work. I like the 'darker' seasons because the obnoxious springy and summery happiness is contained indoors and out of my face, by structure and schedules, work and weather. The Fall brings a different kind of happy, not loud and exuberant, but rather content and serene. Nature is on it's deathbed in Fall, and it is dying a calm, cool, and collected death.

Note: Picture taken by me last November in Central Park.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer West your future goals in life should include becoming a writer. Oh yes and a photographer. See you don't need philosophy you already have your future planned out right there. Love the blog- totally agree except I think I may be one of those spring summer too happy people you are referring to. Sorry about that but I do love fall and I love reading your blog. Keep making posts and I will keep reading them. And write some about that great apartment you live in...

Kristina Marie said...

ok.
i agree 100%. summer is way to cheerful and sweaty. I thoroughly enjoyed the rainy, dreariness of today.
plus, during the fall you can bundle up in your cozy, warm bed (and i know for a face yours is quite comfy) haha.
i agree with ainsley... you should write about your apartment and the guests that frequent it. (me)
i <3 your blogs!
translation for the internet slang impaired:
i love your blogs!

Kristina Marie said...

by the way, i meant, "i know for a FACT." not a face. cause that doesnt make sense. :D unless your bed was a giant face. ok nevermind.

Annekah said...

I love reading your blog! I love your writing style, it's very witty and just always well written! And I loooove fall too. I am definitely not a Spring/Summer girl either! Oh and by the way your picture is so pretty and so amazing! You should be a photo journalist! Seriously! Well this is an amazing post, I wish you'd post things more often!

Lisa Weiler said...

will you drive up the canyon with me so we can bask in nature's beauty? i just want to hear your theories on life twenty-four seve.