Monday, November 10, 2008

Hoods - Rain Protection We Can Believe In

Today was a rainy day, not in the figurative sense but literally a day with heavy precipitation, and when the rains came down the umbrellas came up. Unfortunately the manners that are necessary for the proper handling of these bumbershoots were totally absent. I am one of those who prefers toughing it out with a good hood covering my head rather than bothering with the cumbersomeness of umbrellas, but today it seemed that I had to put up with their incommodiousness without actually reaping the protective benefits. While walking around campus I was already pushing my luck trying to avoid objects, people, and puddles in my path with my hood seriously limiting my peripheral vision. I did not think to worry about the potentially eye-poking, or even blinding, spokes or the streams shooting off the edges of other peoples' umbrellas, and apparently neither did they! After a day full of unfortunate umbrella encounters and full of hope for the change this new administration will bring, I plan to petition for ethical umbrella use laws, one of which will be an absolute ban on the spinning of said umbrellas while in use. At the very least I will push for umbrella wielding licenses which will only be issued to those who can prove they have a good sense of common courtesy and self-awareness. We hooded people hope we have found our candidate of change in President Obama and look forward to his umbrella reforms.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am one of those people who like their umbrellas, however i believe that i am a qualified user and agree with you about the umbrella holding license, there are some pretty unaware people in this world.

Anonymous said...

oh Jen that last comment was by me :)
-Whitney

Ryan said...

So I'm assuming you voted for Obama. GObama as they say. And you can rest easy tonight knowing that not one person in the Nelson household owns an umbrella.

Anonymous said...

Well, Jen, I agree wholeheartedly with your rainy day assessment, probably because I too am a hood wearer instead of an umbrella wielder. The worst thing is when someone's umbrella suddenly dumps a huge pocket of water down your neck. And second worst is those fancy new two-person umbrellas made for cougars in love. And I suppose third is a big golf umbrella taking up way more than its fair share of the sidewalk, and if you try to duck under it to get by the person glares at you because you have just invaded their hummer-sized personal space. Which is why I'll take a hood ANY day :)

Wendi

sarah said...

Jen,
Please, please, be a blog pusher any day. Although I added you to my blog list so actually I can now just blog stalk you with relative ease and read all your posts as soon as you hit the "publish" button. Ha, ha.
P.S. This is wonderful.

Lisa Weiler said...

you should get one of those hat umbrella things...ya know what i'm talking about?? the rainbow colored mini umbrellas connected to a hat...you would look so gooood sportin that around campus

Annekah said...

hahahaha next time I see you, I'm gonna hit you with an umbrella! too bad it won't be forever. stupid Mexico :(

supersonicjan said...

this is cracking me up. I agree with your umbrella views. I have to note that my worst umbrella experiences anywhere have been tied to the DC metro system.