Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brand Conversion

So I'm watching the Olympics the other night and this Nissan commercial comes on. I typically find car commercials occasionally entertaining but completely uncompelling. But as the next commercials continued I found myself thinking more and more about the Nissan tagline "Shift the way you move through the world." The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. I was impressed. I didn't want to go buy a car, and I felt no particular interest in their cars, but I loved that tagline.

And then a Coke commercial came on. It was not extremely clever, and had no tagline, but I was compelled by it. Nothing sounded better to me in that moment than an ice-cold bottle of Coke. All I wanted to do was hold that bottle, remove the cap and hear that refreshing pop/hiss sound, tilt my head back and pour some down my throat.

The contrast of these two commercials got me thinking about brand images and what I call brand conversion, and it reminded me something from a class I'm taking. So we're making our way through St. Augustine's 'Confessions', and we continue to see him switching idealogies, from Manichiesm to Skepticism to Platonism etc. His continuous conversions however, are clearly not complete, or at least not lasting. He moves through all of these systems of belief in a matter of a few years. So I kept wondering, what is it that finally makes Christianity stick for him?  Well, I think Christianity was his Coke, whereas the Philosophical idealogies were his Nissan.

I had an intellectual connection with Nissan as a result of their commercial. The problem was, it had no motivating power. I had an emotional connection with Coke.  Emotional conversions motivate and compel people to act in a way intellectual conversions never do. In Augustine's case, his emotional conversion to Christianity motivated him to finally give up his all-consuming sexual escapades.

Now there may be something more to the Coke vs. Nissan problem, it is entirely possible that the difference in the purchasing process between a car and a drink has something to do with the intellectual vs. emotional marketing.

But here's what I know: Coke's got me. I count myself among the devout.

4 comments:

Lisa Weiler said...

:)

Nicole Tillmann said...

Hey! I was just thinking about this same thing the other day. I was listening to a tape about why the Book of Mormon converts people. This guy brought up the dead sea scrolls and what an amazing finding that was. A young farm boy just happened to find them while exploring this cave one day. They changed a lot about how biblical documents were looked at. They seem to be that 'intellectual' connection you were talking about. It was an intellectual evidence of biblical things, but no one is baptized because of these scrolls. The Book of Mormon, on the other hand, gives you that emotional connection. It seems, at least to me, that it is hard to believe its story and origin, but that emotional connection truly converts people. Whoa....I am totally a nerd! But just thought that was so cool that I was just thinking about that same thing yesterday. We need to hang out Jen...havn't seen you in a while. Hope you are doing well.

Susan Cashen said...

Leave it to me to respond to this post from a branding point of view, v. a spiritual one. You've hit the nail on the head with regarding to powerful branding.....it's all about creating an emotional connection with your customers. You accomplish this throuh no act of coincidence, versus a calculated, strategic and consistent attempt -- across all customer touch points (advertising, blog posts, product experience, out-of-box experience, packaging, customer service, web site, in-box collateral, events, etc.) to get at the "heart of the matter" for your target audience. Think about all your favorite brands or products and then reflect on how you have interacted wtih them throughout the product experience cycle (from consideration, purchase, use and service) and see if the brand experience stays with you the whole time. For me.. Coke, Apple, BMW, Virgin Air, Whole Foods, deliver the goods.

melanie said...

I love the Olympics and I love Coke. And I love reading your blog, Jen. :)