Friday, March 12, 2010

My Favorite Things

A popular LDS hymn instructs us to 'count our blessings' when we are 'upon life's billows'. Psychologists tell us it is good for our mental health to contemplate the positives in life. Julie Andrews as Maria thinks of her favorite things when 'she's feeling sad' and then she doesn't 'feel so bad'. Bing Crosby (in White Christmas) suggests 'counting your blessings, instead of sheep' when falling asleep is difficult. And Oprah enjoy her blessings so much that she shares them with the entire country, and even gives them away for free on her show!

So maybe to get some spiritual energy, maybe for my mental health, maybe to lighten my mood, maybe because I can't fall asleep, but NOT because I am going to start giving things away... I decided to share some of my favorite things:
    - Psycholocial egoism,  the idea that there are no such things as selfless acts. Altruism does not exist. People act primarily out of self-interest. It starts some GREAT debates/conversations. And it makes me feel smart.

    -Sushi, I eat it at LEAST once a week. Raw tuna, raw eel, raw salmon, fish eggs, wasabi...I don't care! Just get it in my mouth! I've heard that when you're pregnant you aren't supposed to eat fish, especially tuna, raw or cooked. Trying to decide if a baby is worth that...thankfully that decision is a LOOOONG way off.

    -Walking/sitting around Central Park in November, with a scarf, a hot Starbucks cup, a camera, and a good book for gaps in interesting people watching.

    -Washing my feet. I do this every night. I think I picked it up from my dad - back when I was little I would always hear the water running when he was in the bathroom. For some reason I assumed that he was washing his feet. Later I found out that he used the water as a sound barrier to prevent unpleasant noises from within being heard by passers-by. But for some reason the feet-washing idea stuck with me.

    -Reading great books. I just finished a FABULOUS book called The Help, an excellent and entertaining read. Before that I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - possibly my all time favorite book. I find myself wishing I could catch up with the characters, find out what's going on in their lives...then I remember they're fake. Depressing. But this post is supposed to be positive, so hooray for good books.

    -Winning. I LOVE to win, and thankfully I am a skilled game player so I win often. Turbo Scrabble, Scattergories, Nerts and California speed are some of my favorites. If there was a league for these games, I would join and I would dominate.

    -Bowling. Normally a game which involves putting on pre-worn ugly shoes, touching a greasy ball which has probably been held by hundreds of people who had previously touched who-knows-what, and playing in something called an 'alley' would NOT appeal to any part of my personality. However, I was conditioned to enjoy bowling, before I was aware of the greasiness and the germs. I am very grateful for this fact and hope to join a bowling league when I have the time and/or money.

    Not sure I feel more spiritual, more mentally sound, cheered up, and more tired...but there is a certain feeling of contentment that comes after reviewing the happy things in one's life. Plus it can't be wrong if it's in a hymn, from psychologists, Julie Andrews, Oprah AND Bing Crosby can it?

      4 comments:

      leigh said...

      jen...the weirdest thing happened this morning. I had "my favorite things" song from the sound of music stuck in my head all morning for some random reason and as it was still stuck in my head i went to your blog and heard it.

      beck beck said...

      I thoroughly enjoyed this post. We should go to Happy Sumo sometime I am thinking. And I feel I have caught a glimpse as to why you wash your feet every night haha

      Unknown said...

      I still need to disprove the elitism of sushi. Also, I think bowling would be better if Frank Sinatra was playing in the background.

      Carrie said...

      Jen,
      I just love you!!! You are so fun and I love reading your blog!!! Psycholocial egosim......
      now that is very interesting and I can imagine it would create some very interesting conversations.........especially with BYU "Mormons". I would like to be a fly on the wall listening to some of those discussions.

      I have decided that being a mom is really a very hard thing to do. I love being a mom and I love my kids but I had no idea that life would get so much harder when your kids got older.........I really thought it would get easier..........I was so.... so....so WRONG!!! I really didnt know.........wow it has been an eye opener lately. I wont even go into the whole husband thing as I have rambled on and on to you about that.

      So Jen, I learned some things about you from this "favorite things" post that I didnt know and I like that I now know them :)

      Write more often.........I am always so happy when I see that you have posted a new blog :)

      Carrie