Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Announcement, a Request, and an Opinion

I've not been a responsible blogger over the last few months, I've been an infrequent poster, and my blog has not only been lacking in quantity but quality as well. So, in an effort to remedy this situation I've decided to take a break from school this semester. Instead I plan to work full-time and in my spare time I will hopefully be a more productive blogger. The problem is, I don't think these two things will fill all the hours in my day, so I'm looking for a good hobby. I thought about starting a pedigree circus rat breeding business, however I haven't been able to find any evidence that circus rats actually exist. (Note: The rat pictured here is just your average everyday rat with no circus talents.) Then I thought and thought and thought...and then I gave up. I am now counting on the readers of this blog to decide how I will use my newly gained free time...find me a hobby!



Well....for now this is my hobby so I'm just going to keep writing. I don't intend to turn my blog into my political soapbox, however I do just want to weigh in on the Obama inaugural address. I agree with many people in that his speech Tuesday was not the best we've heard from him in the last year. But the emotional, soaring rhetoric of his campaign speeches wouldn't have been appropriate in this speech. He needed to bring people back to reality a little bit in terms of their expectations of him and the country for the next four years without killing the hope that he tried so hard to create. He had to portray a stoic optimism, and I think he did by openly and bluntly acknowledging the challenges we are facing, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of hard work in making America's dream or any American's dreams possible.

8 comments:

Ryan said...

I agree. I think it was a good start in the "era of openness." No rats Jen, please. What about quilting? Then maybe you can teach me. Or oil painting?

Ryan said...

By the way, when it says Ryan, it really means Sarah. Although i'm sure he'd agree with what I said, especially the quilting.

Anonymous said...

Well Jennifer since you are not going to school this semester, which i'm starting to envy you for, i think that you should write a book about the African dung beetle. You could also take up the hobby of ice skating and make it into the next winter olympics or maybe start your singing career and make it big by starring in the next season of American Idol. Or better yet how about quit BYU all together and just go to hair school??? I hope you liked all my suggestions and highly recommend that you pick one of them :)

Whitney

HanksFam said...

Are you really not going to school right now? You'll have to write me and tell me more about it. Convince me that this is a good decision for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh jennifer...a hobby? lets make a nice list for you...how about
-snail racing
-hula hoop dancing
-deoderant testing
-flower picking
-ice sculpting
-doing Ainsley's accounting homework
-i like the quilting idea
-deep sea diving
-jump-rope
-pencil sharpening

Ok these are my brillian ideas! I hope these help you find what you are looking for to fill your spare time. If these don't work just come on down to my room and we can have ourselves a little arguement. Love the blog jen-keep writing please.

Lisa Weiler said...

i have the perfect solution to the matter at hand...come visit me!!!!!!! yes. i really feel like you should come to apt b12 of the elms whenever you have a spare moment. please please.

Annekah said...

wow I completely didn't know you were taking the semester off from school! When did you decide that??? I'm shocked!

mom said...

How about - clean your 3 foot deep, putrified, centrally located shrine in Sandy (third floor opposite the main family bathroom). I swatted something crawling out of it recently.